Sunday, March 11, 2012

New Technique for Seaming

Don't you hate how when you go to seam a garment, you end up with weird holes and spaces in your fabric because there just isn't any good place to stick your needle? Unless, of course, you do a border of single crochet around all your pieces, but that uses more yarn and time and sometimes just looks clunky. I recently figured out a way to make a better seam, and it starts with how I work the rows in the first place.

I was working on Linda Permann's Boatneck Sweater from her book, "Little Crochet" (review forthcoming). It's a simple, basic little sweater pattern worked entirely in double crochet. What I figured out was, if you link the first dc of a row to the turning chain, and link the last two stitches of a row together, you diminish the gap between these two elements and stabilize them, giving you a more closed, stable edge to work into when you seam.

This is called "linked double crochet" and works like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boTGA70BqK8 This is not me in the video, by the way; it's just a good video I found.

I'm going to keep playing with this idea, because it saved me a lot of time in sc edgings and I was fairly pleased with the results. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment