Monday, July 18, 2011

My Story

For no discernible reason, I got a bee in my bonnet one day that I wanted to learn to crochet. I have no idea where that sudden desire came from. I have always been creative and a bit crafty, but other than that I can't explain it. It's not like I was dreaming through magazines or had someone give me a crocheted something that was gorgeous, my brain just went "*pop* hey, I wanna learn to crochet. Really bad!"

Side note. There are two events in my early life that connect me to the yarn crafts–both when I was 10-ish. The first is that my grandma showed me how to make a chain. It was the height of Desert Storm, and we were on a plane together and to pass the time we were making little yellow ribbon crochet chains. She may even have taught me a simple stitch, I don't remember. 
The second is that a friend of mine invited me to some 4H open house deal where kids could come and try out different crafts and activities-sort of like mini classes. I picked knitting, and had a great time, but never pursued it afterwards. At 10 or so years old, it probably didn't occur to me to ask anyone to teach me. I went to a class, it ended, and that was that. 

So anyway I went to my nearest Fred Meyer to do my grocery shopping, and while I was there picked up a crochet hook, a ball of Red Heart Super Saver, and one of those 'get started' little booklet thingys (which are terrible, by the way. If you are a beginner, don't buy one of those. The pictures are bad, they are not well written, and are too hard for the rank beginner). I ended up going on YouTube to learn much of the basics, and I soon bought my first book, The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Crochet.

I pretty much have done nothing else since. Ok, I read and work occasionally and see to the ways of my household (married, two small girls) but in my free time I MUST CROCHET A LOT. I couldn't believe how immediately enthralled I was. It was like I should have been doing this all along. 

That is my story in a nutshell. I have learned SO much mostly from trial and error, and hopefully some of those stories will materialize on this blog. You wouldn't believe the goofy mistakes I made along the way that I didn't even realize were mistakes until months later. See you around!

No comments:

Post a Comment